Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cricut Search Tip

Our English teachers taught us that punctuation is important, but I found out over the weekend that SOMETIMES punctuation can be a bad thing.  Let me explain what I mean.

In the world of data and programming, some punctuation marks serve a function OTHER that what it was intended for in the English language.  Sometimes the difference between a program working correctly is the difference between a comma and a semi-colon.  Changing that one little punctuation mark changes that function and the outcome of the entire program.

What does this have to do with a crafting blog?  Well, over the weekend I found out that if you are searching for a phrase on Cricut Search and there is an apostrophe in that phrase, it will not allow the search function of the site to work as it was intended.  How do I know this?  If you search It's a girl on Cricut Search you will get no matches in your search.  But, if you search a girl . . . just dropping the word It's you will find all of the cartridges that have the phrase It's a girl on them.

I am trying to decide if I want to go back through the cartridges and remove all apostrophes from phrases.  Maybe this is a project I can assign to one of the kids over the summer.  For now, just remember to drop any word that contains an apostrophe from your search.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great tip! Ooops! If I was doing a search, I should have dropped that ' in That's! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa . . . you always make me smile!

    ReplyDelete